Reading is an addiction! We totally enjoy giving full attention to each other while reading and our bonding experience totally goes to another level when we read together.
Why Reading to young kids is important ?
- Reading is a good habit to inculcate in young children. The earlier the better.
- It is good for their language and speech development.
- It stimulates brain and boosts imagination in kids.
- Gives them opportunity to learn and explore the world around them.
- Kids become eager and compulsive reader and ultimately keep enhancing their knowledge about the world around them.
Tips for Early readers
- Start reading to your child as early as you can.
- Make a book reading routine
- Try to read at least 1 or 2 books every day.
- Let your child choose the books.
- Be prepared to read your child’s favorite book several times a day/a week/a month 😉
How to encourage children’s participation in reading?
Looking at the pages in the book you can ask few generic, simple and open ended questions to your child like,
- Ask open-ended questions (“Who”, “What”, “When”, “Where”, “Why”, and “How” questions). (This was suggested to me by my bestie who is a preschool teacher in Banglore, India)
- What do you think this story is about?
- Which all characters/ animals you can find in the story?
- What do you think will happen with this particular character?
- What do you think happens next?
- Who looks happy/sad/upset/angry in this story?
- Ask your child to label the objects/emotions/characters in the book.
- Use an expressive, animated, exaggerated voice when reading and imitate funny sounds or facial expressions of the characters which are present in the book and have fun together.
- Define new words or synonyms for new words.
- Relate book objects and characters with child’s real life
- Help your child to make their own stories after reading a book.
What to Read to young babies/Toddlers ?
0-12months : Buy pictionaries/ big and high contrast pictorial books and texture (touch and feel) books, or buy books which are interactive with puppets, mirrors, textures, holes etc. in it..
12 months: Books with pictures and key words like mom, dad, brother, sister, dogs, animal names, etc. Show them pictures in the book which they can relate to real world. Discuss about pictures or words in the book with baby and let your child babble back. It enhances baby’s language skills and vocabulary both. Try to use board/Fabric books for this age group kids.
1yr old – 2yr+ old : Try to pick pictorial books with one liners describing the pictures. you can show more pictures of things your baby doesn’t encounter every day. Books often contain words that children may not commonly hear in everyday conversations, along with pictures that help illustrate their meanings.
Toddlers or preschoolers may ask for the same book over and over again. So be prepared to entertain them and they are trying to become keen learners! So don’t kill their enthusiasm by refusing their request. For kids book reading is a bonding session with their parents, caretakers or teachers.
Our Favorite Books
1. My first Book
2. Books on Healthy Habits and Good Behaviour
3. Animal Books
Learn Directions, Sounds, Dance, Numbers, Foreign Languages, Colors, Face types and Shapes with Animals
4. Language Books
Pages from synonym book
Alphabet Flip Book
5. Story Books
6. Math Books
7. Activity Books :
Benefits Of Early Reading
- This is the best time when we can create an unusual bond with our babies. As, they just love the idea of getting our full attention. Read to your baby while cuddling, It helps in building (mom/dad & baby)bond stronger.
- Sounds, rhymes and building vocabulary are the crucial parts of language development and that is achieved easily through everyday reading at early age, also,they learn to communicate and interact with others.
- Bold use of colors, an emphasis on simple objects in children books, that improves their visual vocabulary and helps them to link names to specific objects.
- Introducing early math, language, etc. in a fun way (alphabets, shapes, colors, the whole world around them.
- Improves Child’s listening skills, fosters brain development, sharpens memory etc.
- Reading with expressions and changing voice pitch helps them to understand the story more easily and interesting way creates more enthusiasm in kids for reading.
- Reading the same story repeatedly helps them to learn complicated words very easily.
- Most importantly reading is for lifetime, it improves concentration, focus and discipline.
- Last but not the least reading habit helps to keep video games, mobiles, tabs away and lessens child’s screen times.
Do you love to read to your kids? Let me know in the comments below!
If you like this article, don’t forget to share with your friends 🙂